Sat, Jan 22|
My house near SDSU
Sri Lankan Supper Club - New Year
suba aluth awuruddak wewa- Happy New Year! Welcome to a whole new year of Supper Clubs. We will kick off our new year with a lighter fare featuring some real comfort foods that highlight Ayurvedic cooking as part of our heritage foods. RSVP by Jan 16.
Time & Location
Jan 22, 2022, 4:30 PM – 6:30 PM
My house near SDSU
About the Event
Welcome to our New Year Sri Lankan Menu. We will be featuring some of the island's traditional fare alongside some fun selections influenced by the Europeans. This menu is to highlight how our cuisine utilizes the main stapes of the island (coconut, fish, rice, tea).
This is a pescatarian menu to accomodate those who do not eat meat. We will be offering a mix of pre-plated meals, and some "family style" so you can enjoy to your liking. Sit back, relax, be warmed by the spices of the food but also be sure to dress warm as this meal will be outdoors. Seating is limited to 12 vaccinated adults only so RSVP now!
NEW COVID UPDATE- this month I will have a limit of 12 and will not add any additional seating. Tables will be 4 tops.
- Rainbow salad (featuring local vegetables in an array of colors and a chili lime vinegrette)
- Cheese toast (open faced grilled cheese with onions, and green chillies- without the canned Kraft cheese of my youth)
- Kiribath and lunu miris (red rice cooked in coconut milk- a holiday and full moon staple in every household, with an onion and red chili sambal + cured dried fish flakes)
- Poll roti - coconut roti with curry leaves cooked on a griddle
- Fish curry ( a fragrant coconut and tomato based curry with a fish TBD using homemade curry powder)
- Pineapple fluff (a tropical explosion of fun and charm of retro foods)
- Light black tea with spices (aka Indian Chai).* "plain tea" is said to aid with digestion, so it usually follows a meal.
- Kokis (Dutch influenced rosette batter that's deep fried and topped with powdered sugar)
*Sri Lanka is one of the world's leading tea producers generally labeled as "Ceylon Tea". The country's central mountainous region is known for tea cultivation. Lower regions produce darker deeper flavored teas, and the higher in elevation producing lighter teas. We will provide a cup of hot black tea (without milk) for this event. February will feature a High Tea event, so be sure to check out this for a British style cuppa tea.
Alcohol is BYOB so you can share with friends or other guests at your table. I am providing a list of suggested pairings, but please feel free to bring anything you like.
Beer: IPA's, lagers, Wheats, Sours or Reds.
Wine: Reislings (dry or semi- sweet), Viogner, Savignon Blac, Prosecco, sparkling rose, or a non-oak Chardonay
Non-alcoholic: I will offer an assortment of homemade Kombucha, but you are welcome to bring any kind of sparkling beverage of your choice as well.
RSVP by Jan 16.
Be sure you register with a working email so you receive updates or any changes. The location will be sent to you 3 days before the event.
Please be sure to check site for FAQ&amp;amp;#x27;s about our Supper Clubs policies and changes since 2021.
NOTE: There will be a no-refund policy starting 2022.
Looking forward to hosting you as we move into this New Year!
Reminder- You must be FULLY vaccinated to attend this event. Thank You.
New Year Supper Club$55.00+$1.38 service fee