Sat, Oct 23|
My House- Near SDSU
Sri Lankan Supper Club- Holiday Fete
Welcome to a cross and multi-cultural celebration featuring some of Sri Lanka’s hidden and well-known foods. This is a blend of Dutch, British, Malaysian, Portuguese and Arabic influences that we have incorporated into our heritage foods. This event will highlight a few of these.
Time & Location
Oct 23, 2021, 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM PDT
My House- Near SDSU
About the Event
Welcome to a cross and multi-cultural celebration featuring some of Sri Lanka’s hidden and well-known foods. This is a blend of Dutch, British, Malaysian, Portuguese and Arabic influences that we have incorporated into our heritage foods. The Portuguese, Dutch and British partly and fully ruled Sri Lanka for many years, but the Malaysian and Arabic influences were all due to the trade route which carried spices from one area to the next.
Come enjoy some Sri Lankan hospitality along with some declicious food using our beautiful local San Diego ingredients fresh from the farm. This special menu has been selected to complement the seasonal produce from nearby farms and my garden. All dishes will be plated for you, so sit back, relax, and enjoy the company. Invite a friend to join you or get to know new people. Seating is limited to 12 vaccinated adults so RSVP now!
October we will celebrate early and end the Supper Clubs for 2021.
- “Chinese” rolls (crepe filled with a mix of meats and vegetables, rolled like a spring rolled, breaded and fried)
- Date bread (local spices and dates creates this moist and decadent quick bread)
- Kokis (a Dutch rosette cookie made with a light batter that’s fried and topped with a hint of powdered sugar)
- Yellow rice pilaf (a heavenly blend of cardamoms, cloves, coconut milk and saffron topped with sultanas, cashews and a splash or rose water)
- Roast Beef (this is my grandmother’s recipe that was used for the holidays. It’s pan roasted in its own juices with secret flavors)
- Eggplant Moju (A pickle of homemade mustard sauce with pearl onions, green chilies and fried eggplant)
- Potato curry (This simple yet deeply comforting silky coconut curry is a staple)
- Green Salad ( garden greens and crunchy veggies give the entire meal a refreshing mouth feel to balance the luxurious flavors above)
- Caramel pudding (This flan is is elevated by the use of fresh organic milk, pasture raised eggs, organic cane sugar to give a slightly burned bitter caramel, and some hidden flavors that will satisfy)
- Breudher * *This dutch yeasted holiday bread was a childhood staple at Christmas for my mother’s family growing up. I am still learning how to make this, and unsure of its success. It will be offered if I am confident in how it turns out.
Alcohol is BYOB so you are welcome to bring a bottle to share with your friends and other guests. I have changed the listing from the previous menus to reflect a pairing that will suit this menu.
Beer: Porters, Wheats, Reds. A richer darker/maltier beer will be ideal but you are welcome to bring what you like. Also, holiday beers with spices and flavors could be ideal.
Wine: Medium bodied reds- Sangiovese, grenache, barbera, merlots and bordeaux will be ideal.
Other alcohols: Holiday gluggs, mulled wines, sherry’s for dessert, port, or scotch will also pair well.
Non-alcoholic: I will offer a selection of homemade Kombuchas. You’re also welcome to bring some ginger beer.
Be sure to give us an email that you check frequently to receive the address and parking instructions. It will be emailed to you as a reminder 3 days prior to the event.
NOTE: ALL attendees must be vaccinated due to the health and safety of my family and for all the guests who are attending. If you need to use our restroom, please bring a mask to wear inside the house.
Follow on Instagram @homegrown urban to see past events, and sneak peeks for this event.
I am unable to refund anyone a week before the event. You are welcome to find someone vaccinated to transfer your ticket. This policy will be updated in 2022.
- Ticket type
+$1.50 service fee+$1.50 service feeSold Out
This event is sold out