Sat, Sep 25|
Location near SDSU sent via email
Sri Lankan pop-up dinner
Red rice, pumpkin and cashews, and a dark blend of spices for a tantalizing pork curry you’ve never had before. Dining Al Fresco in a garden setting showcasing some of San Diego’s local organic farm produce. Small and intimate gathering so bring a friend or two! Seating is limited.
Time & Location
Sep 25, 2021, 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
Location near SDSU sent via email
About the Event
Come enjoy some Sri Lankan hospitality along with some declicious food using our beautiful local San Diego ingredients fresh from the farm. This special menu has been selected to complement the seasonal produce from nearby farms and my garden. See the notes at the end for additional information on this unique menu. All dishes will be plated for you so sit back, relax and enjoy the company. Invite a friend to join you or get to know new people. Seating is limited to 12 so RSVP now!
We will offer homemade Kombucha. If you would like additional *alcohol please feel free to BYO (I will make suggestions below).
- beet ribbon tea sandwiches- whipped beet and cream cheese on delicate finger sandwiches with a hint of spice. A tea time and party favorite
- Chicken or potato puff pastries with homemade chutney or tomato jam
- Sri Lankan red rice
- “Black” pork curry- dark roasted curry with an intense blend of spices slow cooked with a touch of tamarind
- Pumpkin curry with cashews- delicious local kabocha or kuri squash cooked with coconut milk and cashews topped with caramelized onions
- Kale sambol- finely chopped tomato, onion and kale salad with a citrus kick.
- Papadam- fried lentil crisps
- cardamom-rose ice cream ( a delicate hint of two important flavor combinations that migrated along the spice route and is found in many parts of south Asian and Middle eastern cooking)
*alcohol is BYO so you are welcome to bring a bottle to share with your friends/guests. Beer- lagers, IPA's, or something mild like a corona or modelo. Wine- Reislings (dry), Viogner, savignon blac, or pinot gregio/gris. A light rose, or prosecco will also go well. If you prefer a red a lighter bodied wine will be ideal- pinot noir, lambrusco, or grenach. I also recommend some ginger beer for non alcoholic beverage.
Will be dining al fresco in our garden. The evenings can be warm or cool so please dress accordingly. There is no need to dress up, but if you would like to please feel free.
Be sure to give us an email that you check frequently to receive the address and parking instructions.
NOTE: ALL attendees must be vaccinated due to the health and safety of my family and for all the guests who are attending. If you need to use our restroom, please bring a mask to wear inside the house.
$55 per person (adults only) upon RSVP
if you need alternate payment please let me know.
This is one of my personal favorite menus. Red rice is a Sri Lankan gem and something hard working farmers cultivate as its nutritional content is high.
The black pork curry is not that common and this recipe is regional to specific area which my family seems to have adopted. It’s simmered for hours and tenderized by a touch of tamarind paste.
Kamocha and Kuri squash that our local farmers grow compliment coconut milk so perfectly that this is a great balance for the intensity of the pork curry.
We hope you can join us for our second pop-up of this season. We are excited to host you.